Current:Home > ContactJudge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial -Wealth Evolution Experts
Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 06:15:34
NEW YORK (AP) — A former high-ranking Mexican official tried to bribe fellow inmates into making false statements to support his bid for a new trial in a U.S. drug case, a judge found Wednesday in rejecting Genaro García Luna ‘s request.
García Luna, who once held a cabinet-level position as Mexico’s top public safety official, was convicted last year of taking payoffs to protect the drug cartels he was supposed to go after. He is awaiting sentencing and denies the charges.
Prosecutors discovered his alleged jailhouse bribery efforts and disclosed them in a court filing earlier this year, citing such evidence as a former cellmate’s handwritten notes and covert recording of a conversation with García Luna. His lawyers said the allegations were bogus and the recording was ambiguous.
But U.S. District Judge Brian Cogan found them believable.
“This was a clear scheme by defendant to obstruct justice through bribery,” Cogan wrote.
He also turned down defense lawyers’ other arguments for a new trial, including assertions that some prosecution witness gave false testimony at trial and that the defense wasn’t given some potentially helpful information that prosecutors were obliged to turn over.
“We are extraordinarily disappointed with the court’s decision,” defense lawyer César de Castro said, adding that “the court did not address fundamental problems with this prosecution.”
García Luna plans to appeal, his lawyer said.
Prosecutors declined to comment on Wednesday’s decision.
After the verdict, defense attorneys submitted a sworn statement from an inmate who said he got to know a prosecution witness at a Brooklyn federal jail before García Luna’s trial.
The inmate said that the witness vowed he was “going to screw” García Luna by testifying against him, and that the witness talked on a contraband cellphone to a second government witness.
Defense lawyers said the alleged comments buttressed their claim that García Luna was framed by cartel members and corrupt officials seeking leniency for themselves. The purported cellphone conversations also could have contradicted prosecutors’ argument that the witnesses were credible because they hadn’t talked in years, so couldn’t have coordinated their stories.
But prosecutors said in a March court filing that the inmate who gave the sworn statement has a psychotic disorder with hallucinations. In government interviews, the witnesses denied the alleged communications, according to prosecutors.
And, they said, García Luna, who’s at the same Brooklyn lockup, offered other inmates as much as $2 million to make similar claims about communications among the witnesses. He also asked one of the inmates to persuade yet another to say he’d overheard a cellphone conversation involving the second government witness about concocting a false claim of having bribed García Luna, according to prosecutors.
The intermediary, whom defense lawyers identified as a former García Luna cellmate, made the notes and recording.
The judge concluded that García Luna’s lawyers didn’t know about his endeavors.
García Luna, 56, was convicted on charges that include engaging in a continuing criminal enterprise. He faces at least 20 years and as much as life in prison at his sentencing Oct. 9.
García Luna was Mexico’s public security secretary from 2006 to 2012.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Nevada verifies enough signatures to put constitutional amendment for abortion rights on ballot
- Meet the Americans competing at the 2024 Tour de France
- Horoscopes Today, June 30, 2024
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Oklahoma, Texas officially join SEC: The goals are the same but the league name has changed
- Impromptu LGBTQ+ protest in Istanbul after governor bans Pride march
- What is Hurricane Beryl's trajectory and where will it first make landfall?
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Federal judge halts Mississippi law requiring age verification for websites
Ranking
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- ThunderShirts, dance parties and anxiety meds can help ease dogs’ July Fourth dread
- California Communities Celebrate ‘Massive’ Victory as Oil Industry Drops Unpopular Referendum
- Gaza aid pier dismantled again due to weather, reinstallation date unknown
- From bitter rivals to Olympic teammates, how Lebron and Steph Curry became friends
- Police officer fatally shoots man at homeless shelter in northwest Minnesota city of Crookston
- Supreme Court rules ex-presidents have broad immunity, dimming chance of a pre-election Trump trial
- New clerk sworn in to head troubled county courthouse recordkeeping office in Harrisburg
Recommendation
'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
Animal rescuers save more than 100 dolphins during mass stranding event around Cape Cod
Who was Nyah Mway? New York 13-year-old shot, killed after police said he had replica gun
Tour de France results, standings after Stage 3
Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
Will Smith returns to music with uplifting BET Awards 2024 performance of 'You Can Make It'
Young Thug’s trial on hold as defense tries to get judge removed from case
Maine man who confessed to killing parents, 2 others will enter pleas to settle case, lawyer says