Current:Home > ScamsJohn Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs -Wealth Evolution Experts
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 04:28:30
It's been the year of musical chairs in the fashion industry, and now, John Galliano is leaving his longtime home at Maison Margiela.
In an interview with Women's Wear Daily published Wednesday, Galliano confirmed his exit from the French luxury fashion house.
"As we are parting ways with this beautiful house, my heart overflows with joyous gratitude, and my soul smiles so I want to take this time to express it. I continue to atone, and I will never stop dreaming," Galliano told WWD.
He continued: "In inviting me to assume the position of artistic director in the house that Martin (Margiela) built, he gave me the greatest, most precious gift: The opportunity to once again find my creative voice when I had become voiceless."
The comments were made in reference to his infamous 2011 ouster from Christian Dior after a video surfaced of a 2011 rant at a Paris bar, where he made comments considered racist and antisemitic. That year, he was found guilty for two hate crimes. It followed a separate, similar incident at the same bar in 2010 a year earlier.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
But in 2014, Galliano made a career comeback at Margiela.
"Being brave enough to unlearn, to re-educate ourselves from the past – for it is societally learnt – to share, empathize, and practice compassion," he added.
Galliano continued, praising Margiela parent company president Renzo Russo who he said "took a risk" and gave him "a second chance," telling WWD that his hiring "told the fashion industry that it is at its best when we collectively support each other, not judge; when we accept, forgive, and help one another see the error of our ways."
Alessandro Michele named new creativedirector of Valentino after Gucci departure
Earlier this year, ex-Gucci head Alessandro Michele got back in his creative director bag, this time at Valentino, following Pier Paolo Piccioli's exit.
"Maison Valentino is honored to announce today the appointment of Alessandro Michele as Creative Director," the brand announced in a statement shared to social media at the time. "This appointment marks the beginning of a new journey to continue shining unique values of the brand, its heritage and couture codes in the world through Alessandro Michele’s unique perspective and wealth of experience."
Michele called the appointment "an incredible honor," adding, "I feel the immense joy and the huge responsibility to join a Maison de Couture that has the word 'beauty' carved on a collective story, made of distinctive elegance, refinement and extreme grace."
Chanel is also facing a shakeup as fashion onlookers await the naming of a new fashion creative director. WWD reported last month that Matthieu Blazy, the Bottega Veneta creative director, is a frontrunner for the brand's top spot.
Contributing: Brendan Morrow
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- From bitter rivals to Olympic teammates, how Lebron and Steph Curry became friends
- Spain amends its constitution to replace term ‘handicapped’ with ‘persons with a disability’
- Alicia Keys Drops an Activewear Collection To Reset Your 2024 State of Mind
- US forces strike Houthi sites in Yemen as Biden says allied action hasn’t yet stopped ship attacks
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Miami tight end Cam McCormick granted ninth season of playing college football
- Galaxy S24, AI launch event: How to watch Samsung's 'Galaxy Unpacked 2024'
- Arnold Schwarzenegger detained at airport for traveling with unregistered watch, reports say
- NCAA hits former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with suspension, show-cause for recruiting violations
- Thailand fireworks factory explosion kills at least 20 people
Ranking
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Mississippi has the highest rate of preventable deaths in the US, health official says
- Stick To Your 2024 Fitness Goals With Plus-Size Activewear From Spanx, Amazon, Adidas, and More
- National Popcorn Day 2024: The movie theaters offering free, discounted popcorn deals
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- SpaceX launch today: How to watch Ax-3 mission to send four astronauts to the ISS
- White House to meet with families of Americans taken hostage by Hamas
- 6 alleged gang members convicted of killing Chicago rapper FBG Duck in 2020
Recommendation
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
Mila De Jesus’ Son Pedro Pays Tribute After Influencer’s Death
I’m a Croc Hater–But These Viral TikTok Croc Boots & More New Styles Are Making Me Reconsider
Two officers shot, man killed by police in gunfire exchange at Miami home, officials say
Breaking debut in Olympics raises question: Are breakers artists or athletes?
Slovakian president sharply criticizes changes to penal code proposed by populist prime minister
Jennifer Lopez's tumultuous marriages on display in wild 'This Is Me…Now: A Love Story' trailer
Mariska Hargitay, 'Law & Order: SVU' stars celebrate 25th anniversary milestone in NYC
Tags
Like
- Connie Chiume, Black Panther Actress, Dead at 72: Lupita Nyong'o and More Pay Tribute
- Elise Stefanik, GOP congresswoman and possible Trump VP pick, to hit trail with Trump 2024 campaign in New Hampshire
- European Union institutions gear up for a fight over Orbán’s rule of law record, funds for Hungary